středa 30. dubna 2008

Walsh, Steve




Steve Walsh (born June 15, 1951 in St. Joseph, Missouri) has been a singer and songwriter for the progressive rock group Kansas from 1970 up through the present. Steve Walsh was adopted by his parents and he grew up in Saint Joseph, Missouri. He now lives in Atlanta, Georgia with his wife and two children. He is a career musician and he makes his living performing with Kansas and releasing solo projects.
Although best known as
lead singer and keyboardist for Kansas, he has three solo albums and two albums in the early 1980s with the band Streets.
In 1980, while taking a break from Kansas, he had a solo hit called "Every Step Of The Way."
In 1986, after leaving Kansas a few years earlier to form Streets, Walsh rejoined a newly reformed Kansas that included guitar virtuoso
Steve Morse. Walsh has remained the lead singer of Kansas ever since, and has battled through drug and alcohol problems, personnel changes in the band and a grueling touring schedule. He is a physical fitness devotee and although you won't see him dancing all over the stage, performing handstands on the keyboard anymore, his healthy living has restored much of his soaring tenor that at one point was reduced to a hoarse rasp in the 90's because of hard living.
Walsh may not have achieved the commercial success of contemporaries such as
Steven Tyler or Freddie Mercury, but he does have an impressive body of work to his credit. He was the lead vocalist on "Dust in the Wind" and "Carry On Wayward Son", both timeless rock classics. He is regarded by rock critics and peers as one of the great rock tenors of the 70's.[citation needed] Steve Walsh has been a participant in the annual Rockin' Christmas Fund charity fundraiser event held each year to help needy kids.

Discography
Solo
(1980)
Schemer Dreamer
(2000)
Glossolalia
(2005)
Shadowman
(2007)
Steve Walsh - Dark Day, Faule dr Roane
Streets
(1983) 1st
(1985)
Crimes in Mind
(1987)
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents Streets or Live-Shakedown



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What can I say about a person like Steve Walsh? There is much information about him available in magazines, interviews and on the world wide web. You can describe him simply as "The Greatest Voice Ever" or you can try to have a little look at the man behind the voice! I had the opportunity to ask himself some questions and I decided to choose these few to give some basic information about him.

I asked him:
What's your favourite meal? (The most important question!)
My favorite meals involve raw fish in some instances, but anything I fix at my home usually ends up being pretty good.
-
What are your favourite bands/musicians?
Kate Bush, NIN, Peter Gabriel, Rage against the Machine and Tool.
-
What is your favourite song?
I have many songs that I enjoy - my favorite changes like the weather.
-
Take only one album to a lonely island!
Kate Bush "Hounds of Love".
-
What's your favourite Kansas-Album?
In the Spirit of Things.
-
What's your favourite Kansas-Song?
Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel.
-
Do you have a dream of doing something special?
Being involved with a visual art - either a movie project or a play.
-
Do you have a vision?
I only have hopes and aspirations - I imagine my life going in certain directions, but I think I can adapt if and when the time comes. And who knows, I might win the lottery!!
-
What was the most important day in your life?
There were two incredible days in my life. They were the birth of mylatest daughter, and the day I was presented with my first-born, who we adopted.
-
If you were not a musician, what occupation would you like to do?
I would love to do something outside-perhaps to help the environment. I think it's in sad shape.
-
If you could turn back time, what in your life would you like tocorrect or do in another way?
Without making the mistakes I have made, I never could have grasped certain realizations about myself. I am thankful I have such good friends as I do in the band Kansas, and a wonderful wife and family.
-
There are many rumors about the reason you left Kansas in 1981. Just a few words from you.
The rumors are probably mostly true. I left the band because the lyrics which were written by Kerry were pointing in a direction which I did not feel I could or should portray. As an interpreter of the song it falls to me to verbalize the meaning, and if I don't feel it or believe it in my heart, I don't have any business trying to make people's minds up for them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards2Steve@steve-walsh.de

Jeden ohlas ve Stevově poště z roku 2006 :
______________________________

To:Steve Walsh & Kansas: Friend! I Speak Not English ( or Bad ). I Am 45 Age . Kansas Played In My Life 31 Years.I Love " Point Of Know Return" And "Leftoverture." Your Music Is My : Symphony,History,Love,Tragedy,mainly Very,Very Much Invention And Good Relax, Virgin Island Beautiful Melodies In Commercional Sea Of Other Music. Very Happy And Very New CD´s !!!! Your FanPetr Galatik Slunecna 4555 760 05 ZLIN Czech Republic, 02-Jun-2006.

A několik dalších :

Hi Steve, I'm an Indonesian progressive rock musician with several albums out on Eurpean labels. My band Discus is considered to be the pioneer of Indonesian progressive rock. I grew up as a huge fan of you and Kansas. Thanks for your great music! It has influenced mine A LOT! I have a few wishes if you don't mind: 1. Please make a new Kansas album with Ragsdale, 2. Make it great as I know you guys can, and 3. Please play those great organ / keyboard solos again we haven't heard for too many years on record. You're such a GREAT Hammond soloist - I can't understand why that fact is so rarely mentioned anywhere. Regards, Iwan Hasan, 11-Oct-2006

Hi Steve- Where do I start...It was 1976 and I had just moved to Utah from Texas. I was 12 years old and had no idea of who I was. The following year I was headed up the mountain for my first ski trip with some friends. Dust in the Wind came on the radio-from that moment on I knew who Kansas was. I became aware of the other Kansas songs that had already been receiving airplay and I was amazed that I had never noticed them before. My life changed at that moment. Two things happened that impacted my life because of you and the band: First, I knew that I wanted to become a musician and have the same effect on people that you had. I eventually learned the drums and have been in many bands since the late 80s. It still gets to me when I see the audience dancing or singing along or signing the occasional autograph. The second thing that happened was that, after attending a Kansas concert in 1980 (Audio-Visions tour) in Salt Lake City, I got laid for the first time! I don't know if my girlfriend was just feeling generous that night or if it was the "smoke" blowing around the arena, but she let me have some. You guys rule!! I wish you all the best and remember, your music is forever. Ron Wise.

Hello Steve, When I was 15 years old I bought the album Leftoverture. Because I loved the music on this album, I bought the older Kansas albums and all the new releases until Vinyl Confessions. But Kansas without you, it wasn’t really Kansas for me. Then, a few years ago I walked into a record store and to my surprise I found the CD “Freaks of nature”. At that point I didn’t knew that you were back in the band for 10 years. And then a week ago I discovered in the record store that Kansas made a DVD in 2003: Device Voice Drum. Wow, what luck. This is one of the best DVD’s I’ve ever heard! Yesterday I read on the internet that Kansas toured in Europe in 2005. I’m 2 years to late to find it out! So I hope Kansas will return to the Netherlands or Germany one day. Then I’ll be there! This is reallly great music, with great playing and singing. Steve, I wish you all the luck and hope I can see you perform one day. Thank you and the rest of the band for your excellent music. Ad Manders, the Netherlands.

Since 1977 I´m listening your voice and music with Kansas. I just need a concert dvd from those years! Everytime I heard your songs you make me feel a lot of emotions and feelings.... thats great! Sorry for my english. From Málaga (SPAIN) GRACIAS!!! Steve Andrés Luengo, Coronado 23-Jun-2004

Hey Steve, My name is Tom and I live in N. New Jersey, just outside NYC. I have Been an avid fan of You and Kansas since 1976, just after the release of the single Carry on Wayward Son, on your fourth album Leftoverature. You guys were fantastic back then, and you, Robby, Rich, Phil, and Billy sounded just as teriffic at the Patriots Theatre in Trenton, this past Saturday night Feb 21. This is the first time in all the years I've loved Kansas that I have actually tried to get in touch with you and the Kansas band members to let you guys know how great you(s) are. Once, back in 1982, I was able to get back stage at the Palladium theatre in NYC, and shook the hands of Robbie Steinhart and Dave Hope. Robby Steinhart said this past Saturday night, "Almost 54 years old STILL ROCKIN!!!!" That was excellent!!! Hope Kansas rocks on for another 25 years..So you'll be getting close to 80..so what..lol I'm getting my son into Kansas so that he can appreciate good rock and roll, and not that hip hop grunge/rap music of today. P.S., Even my screen name was inspired from your third album "Masque". 25-Feb-2004


Žádné komentáře: